Sunday, November 20, 2011

As I was studying at Starbucks the other day, a woman in her 50s was ordering coffee. She spoke through her slightly wrinkled lips, and cigarette stained teeth, "I want my coffee with soy milk, no foam, at a 120 degrees, and with a straw". It was funnier listening to the Barista repeat her order as it finished. What a mouthful. Personally, I take my coffee black.

What about me? When I'm at my go-to breakfast place, Jim's, they offer me a myriad of options. I know exactly what I want: Western Omelette with egg whites (no yolks for me), hash browns (not home fries, or fruit), wheat toast (it has more fiber than sourdough, white, or rye, right? Oh, and I like it without butter, please), and with a glass of water (no caffeine, no carbonation, just water, thank you very much). Seriously, I sound like a picky old woman.

Is there something wrong here? Absolutely not. Have your coffee the way you want it. Have your eggs over-medium, hard-boiled, or scrambled. Who cares?

Can I personalize my morality like I personalize my breakfast, or the woman her coffee?

The answer for now: certainly not.
My explanation will come after church.

1 comment: