Monday, September 6, 2010

Why Johnny Can't Preach: The Media Have Shaped the Messengers

In this book by T. David Gordon, he takes the accumulated observation of many years as Christian and lesser years as a pastor and professor to critique today's pulpit. Coming from the unique perspective of a media ecologist he spoke how damaging our communicative outlets are: instant messaging, telephone, television, etc. These inadequate means of receiving and dispensing information have dampened the fire that ought to shoot forth from the preacher.

His argument may come off very blunt and harsh, but it is truth unveiled. Compassion I can get from other reads, but honesty is what I'll gladly take from this salty piece. Therefore, I have decided to take this book as an impetus to rekindle my need to read and my want to write.

I will use this blog to share what I'm reading and how they have so affected my thoughts and my life. Let us here begin.

I started East of Eden by John Steinbeck. I already feel the monstrosity that is Charles begin to frighten me whether by his alien form of aggression or the way that I may imitate him in secret. the nature of his bond with his brother, Adam, is one that intrigues me not because it is similar to the relation to my own brother but perhaps because it is so different.

It is illuminating to see how a man becomes what he is, as Steinbeck shows us how Cyrus is constructed: primarily by self-deception and his obsession over the military. His fanaticism, emotional unavailability: its wider effects on his children and Alice is something frightful. I have found myself wanting to raise my children in such a way, as brilliant athletes, militantly disciplining and shaping them to be "men". His depiction of a man that really put this in practice reminds me not to operate a family in such a way.

The most striking character for me is Samuel. After reading the first chapter about him, I remember telling myself: I want to be like that. I will let this be enough: Sam is the man.

No comments:

Post a Comment